Crockpot Lima Beans & Ham
- 2 cups lima beans, dried
- 2 cups distilled water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 8 oz. ham, uncured, cubed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, raw, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- Sort and soak dried beans according to package directions.
- In medium pan add 2 tbsp. olive oil and chopped onions and garlic.
- Sauté on medium high heat until onions are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add cubed ham and cook until slightly browned.
- Transfer onions and ham to crockpot and add prepared beans.
- To the pan with ham drippings add 1 tbsp. of tapioca flour and brown over med heat.
- Slowly add 1 cup of chicken broth, stirring constantly to create roux.
- Add remaining broth and 2 cups of water to crockpot, then add roux, pepper and turmeric, mixing well to incorporate roux.
- Set crockpot to low heat and cook up to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Can substitute chicken, beef or lamb, but nutritional analysis will vary.
- If using beef, add 1 tsp cumin; if using lamb add 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
Copyright © 2016. ChristLight Productions Ltd, LLC. All Rights Reserved.